Hello all and welcome back! With the start of this semester we have even more changes to talk about!
As covered in the last meeting we talked about:
- Fewer meetings on the whole this semester
- No meeting this Sunday February 2nd… It’s the Superbowl!
- Your dues for this semester are due by the 9th of February (only $20!)
-Officer elections are being held now through the ninth, if you are interested send in an e-mail
Here’s what you missed this past meeting!
TONIGHT: RSVP for National Conference
Tomorrow: IUP’s Writing Center & Writing Across the Curriculum sponsoring #write2connect drawing
This Wednesday: Pumpkins due to Kelly in the office (and post to Facebook!)
Sunday, Oct. 27: Next meeting
Monday, Oct. 28: Conference submissions close
Sunday, Nov. 3, 5:30: Ambassadors Alumni Networking Dinner – RSVP tonight!
Weds. Nov. 6, 4:30: Pie a Prof culminating event (tentative!)
Sunday, Nov. 17: Induction ceremony for new members and announcing officer positions (voting in February 2014)
The Writing Center is looking for applications for next year – sophomores and juniors, submit applications now!
Emailing prospective students: NCTE has the English Ed prospies covered, let’s do the BAs. Three volunteers needed, I’ll contact you later in the week with the names and emails of our high school students.
One last social event! It’s up to you. Possible ideas: a NaNoWriMo event, ice skating, a movie night
Do you want me to forward job opportunities to the group? I’ve gotten a few, and you might be interested in them?
Attendance is mandatory and we are taking attendance. You’re allowed up to three absences. We don’t need documentation or proof for these absences, although you should try to tell us if you’re planning to miss a meeting.
Announcements from Meeting:
- The “Pie a Professor” fundraiser begins Monday, Oct 14th, and runs until early November. The specific date and time of the actual Pie a Professor event will be determined and announced at a later time. Each member of Sigma Tau Delta must get a marked envelope from Nick, in which they must each raise $20 in donations for the fundraiser. All donated money must be placed in a designated box in Leonard 110, in envelopes labeled with the professor’s name. Check your e-mail for details about the fundraiser from Nick.
- If you got a pumpkin from Yarnick’s farm this Saturday and would like to decorate it for the English department, you need to bring the pumpkin to Kelly’s desk in the room 110 of Leonard by next week. You can take a photo of your pumpkin and post it on the Sigma Tau Delta Facebook page to receive a very small prize from the chapter! The picture with the most likes will win.
Upcoming Deadlines and Events:
- Anyone planning to attend the Sigma Tau Delta international convention this spring must inform Emily or Lindsey of their interest at the next general meeting this Sunday, October 20th.
- We will be holding a convention paper workshop session at the general meeting this Sunday, so if you are going to the convention and would like to get some feedback on your paper before you submit it, be sure to bring a copy for peer-review.
- The deadline for all 2014 Sigma Tau Delta convention paper submissions is October 28th at 11:59pm CTS. You can submit your paper online here.
- The next IUP Academic Expo is Saturday, November 16th. Olivia McBride is currently signed up to attend the Expo this day.
- Sigma Tau Delta’s induction ceremony will take place during our regular meeting time on Sunday, November 17th, from 8:00-9:00pm in the Allegheny room.
Here’s what you missed in this past week’s meeting if you weren’t able to make it:
-We started a sign-in sheet, as the bylaws state you may only have 3 misses a semester for meetings, went over attendence policy
-We did an Ice Breaker so everyone got to know everyone, name, year, major, worst Ice Breaker experience, some good stuff here
-Yarnick’s Pumpkin Fest is Oct. 12th
-Next meeting Oct. 13th is in the Library Room 210 at our normal time of 8pm
-Monday Oct. 14th our fundraising for pie a prof. begins
Due to Homecoming there is NO meeting this Sunday Oct. 6th!
Here are the things that you missed if you weren’t able to come to our last meeting:
- If you applied to be a big and were not able to come to tonight’s training, e-mail the Vice President, Lindsey Quakenbush, at ZCNR@iup.edu.
- Academic Expos on Oct. 12th and Oct. 16th, 10:45am-2:00pm. We still need more volunteers, please contact Emily if you are available.
- Homecoming T-Shirt sales from Oct. 1-4, the week before homecoming. Please attend our next meeting to sign up to sell during the week.
- All chapter dues and induction fees are due at next week’s meeting, Sunday Sept. 29th. Chapter dues for active members are $20. New members must also submit their one-time induction fee of $40 in addition to their $20 chapter dues (in other words, new members must pay a total of $60 this Sunday).
- Deadline for submitting Little applications is Sunday, Sept. 29th.
- Dr. Carse’s Memorial Service: 5:00pm-7:00pm, Wednesday, Sept. 25th, Blue Room, Sutton Hall. Please attend if you can.
- Pumpkinfest at Yarnick’s Farm: Saturday, Oct. 12th, 11:00am-1:00pm. Bigs and Littles pairings will be announced.
- Sunday Oct. 13th: “What to do with a BA in English” Panel, in Stapleton or Stabley Library (specific location TBD)
Discussion of common reader for the Sigma Tau Delta international convention, We the Animals by Justin Torres.
If you were unable to make this past week’s meeting here’s what you missed:
-English Department meet and greet Thurday Sept 19th @5pm til 7pm
-Common Reader:We the animals by Justin Torres
-Big(for the bigs/little frat stuff Bigs only!) Crash course at 7:40pm before the general meeting at 8pm
-Bring your own topping for waffles at our next meeting (Eicher hall Writing center 8pm Sept. 22)
-Dues and applications
If you missed this week’s meeting here’s what happened:
Sigma Tau Delta hosted a meet and greet in Leonard Lounge (Rm 113).
We had a great time with free pizza and refreshments and the officers were introduced.
There was a bit of mingling and 22 prospective members showed up.
Spooky scavenger Hunt Friday sept. 13th
September 15th, meeting at 8pm in the Writing Center (Eicher Hall)
Hope to see you next week!